Environmental Protection & Sustainability
Health and Safety
The health and safety of our team members, guests and community are paramount to the Group. Apart from fulfilling our legal obligations on health and safety, the below efforts were made across our properties in 2015:
- Engaged team members via different channels for raising work-related feedback
- Reviewed the internal procedures on the adequacy and effectiveness of protecting team members in the event of adversities
- Continuously supported the Macau SAR Government on the Tobacco Prevention and Control Law as the health and well-being of the teammembers and guests are crucial to GEG. Since the gaming floor smoking ban came into effect on 6 October 2014, GEG has been in full compliance with the relevant rules and regulations. Until now, GEG’s smoking lounges have been well-received and the feedback from labor unions, team members and guests have all been positive
Separately, GEG has also initiated a number of health and safety programs at its properties. All GEG properties have established communication platforms to share safety information among business units and all properties have developed and adopted an Accident Management System to monitor and control accident rates and take corresponding action. Furthermore, Galaxy Macau™ also systematically identifies and mitigates health and safety risks through a certified OHSAS 18001 system and in 2015, the integrated resort also hosted a sharing forum that attracted around 100 participants from the community.
Working with Companhia de Electricidade de Macau (“CEM”), GEG co-hosted the “Macau Safety, Health and Environmental Sharing Forum 2015” at UA Galaxy Cinemas
Environmental Protection and Sustainability
GEG has taken active steps to build a strong foundation for the future. By communicating its environmental protection objectives across all properties, GEG integrates sustainability into the Group’s business strategy.
- 2016 & further - Continue to strengthen our eco-efficient business; Improve indoor environment quality; Reduce food waste; Promote environmental awareness through external international green campaigns
- 2015 - Continue to reduce energy, water and waste consumption; Achieved LEED Gold Certification for Galaxy Macau Phase 2; Increased operational efficiency of Broadway Macau™; Achieved OHSAS 18001 certification for Galaxy Macau
- 2014 - Efforts were made to reduce the Group’s energy and water consumption, encourage waste recycling and improve indoor air quality for Galaxy Macau and StarWorld Macau
- 2013 - Achieved ISO14001certification for Galaxy Macau
Protecting the Environment
GEG is committed to improving its environmental performance along the sustainability journey. To meet this goal, GEG implements the following ongoing actions:
- Comply with all applicable environmental requirements and legislations and strives to make it beyond the required standards
- Provide sufficient resources to meet the environmental objectives and targets (for example, GEG devotes efforts to achieve green building requirements that promote renewable, clean energy)
- Conduct business in a manner that fosters the sustainable use of the earth’s resources, such as validated the ISO14001 certification after passing the surveillance audit GEG continues to reduce its energy and water consumption, recycle and reduce waste, and improve indoor air quality across the Group’s properties through the below actions:
The Group retrofitted green lightings across hotel floors, VIP lobbies and bars & restaurants for all its properties to achieve significant energy saving initiatives. The HVAC system across all properties have been optimized to improve overall efficiency and replaced with environmentally friendly refrigerants. The Group is proud that Galaxy Macau saved approximately 11.5 million kWh of energy in 2015 and at the same time, Galaxy Macau Phase 2 obtained LEED gold certification for its new tower.
GEG is developing water management platforms and establishing water reduction plans at its properties so as to continuously reduce portable water consumption and comply with water quality requirements in 2016. Thus far, the Group has installed water saving faucets in most of its properties and has had in place water recycling and circulation systems for cleaning and irrigation to reduce its water consumption. It is looking into establishing a water consumption database to help monitor its water usage and recycling.
GEG monitors and reviews its properties’ waste production on a regular basis and has strong recycling initiatives. It collected different waste materials for recycling in 2015, inclusive of plastic bottles, glass bottles, metal, cardboard and paper materials and food waste.
Since food waste constitutes most of the waste in its operation, GEG installed a brand new food waste processing machine at Galaxy Macau and through compression and dehydration, the machine reduced food waste volume by 80%. In addition, Galaxy Macau also has a food waste decomposer that has generated over 5 tons of fertilizer for landscape planting use. Meanwhile, GEG is also considering to install the food waste decomposer at all properties in near future. GEG has displayed great achievements in protecting the environment. Major Environmental Protection related awards received in 2015 are listed below:
- Winner of “Macau Energy Saving Contest 2015” Energy Saving Concept Award for Hotel Group C for Galaxy Macau Phase I from Companhia de Electricidade de Macau (“CEM”) and Macau Office for the Development of the Energy Sector (“GDSE”)
- 2014 Macau Green Hotel Awards – Silver Award to Galaxy Hotel from Environmental Protection Bureau of Macau SAR Government